Even though you’re on a self supported adventure, we are always available to help answer your questions. Check out the info on this page, give us a buzz, or text at 412.439.5627 . While we might be miles away, we’ll help put you in touch with the closest place for bike repairs, a comfy bed, or a cold beer!
The following contains information about the trail, the trip and our services. Included are detailed DC and Cumberland Bike Drop off information, Tips and Reminders, Links to our FAQ and Blog entries to help you prepare and know what to expect….and more!
There are various closures and alerts at this time. The most serious are between Mile 123-124 on the Great Allegheny Passage and between Mile 51-54 on the C&O Towpath. . The following are our recommendations for navigating these two most problematic closures.
- C&O Towpath Mile 51-54- This closure is the result of a washed out culvert and there is no good detour at this time. Please contact River and Trail Outfitters or The Towns Inn Bed and Breakfast in Harpers Ferry for shuttle service around this section
Be Prepared and In-The-Know:
FAQ– Information about your bikes, the gear that is included and more. You’ll find out more about the terrain, the accommodations, what to bring, what to expect and everything in between!
Trail Guide Book– We publish a guide book. Its awesome. Check it out here
Tips and Reminders
- Keep your tires inflated to the suggested PSI. B+Bs, hotels, bike shops, and visitor centers usually have pumps available. Do what you can to get 80 PSI in there everyday, and you will likely not get a flat on the entire trip!
- If you have an emergency on the trail, call 911 and use the mile markers as a reference.
- Golden Triangle Bike strongly recommends wearing your helmet each mile of your ride.
- Flat repair kits are in your handlebar bags. If you don’t exactly know how to use it, flag another cyclists down! We’re a friendly bunch!
- Use the quick release at the seat collar to adjust saddle height and improve fit.
- We’ve equipped your bike with a handlebar mounted bell. Use it as often as necessary to alert other riders, and shoo critters off the trail.
- Keep right and announce passing as “on your left!”
- Your lock combo is set to 0000. Line the numbers up at the arrow and try to keep your bike in sight.
- Have fun and ‘keep the rubber side down!
Dropping your bike off in Washington DC.
You made it!
You will be dropping your bike off with our friends at Bike and Roll DC. At mile marker 0 on the C&O in Georgetown, you’re a few short miles through the National Mall from the drop off at Bike and Roll.
When you arrive at Bike and Roll, check in with a staff member. Let them know you’re just finishing up and you’ll be dropping off the bike with them. They’ll direct you to a space to unpack and get sorted.
Directions, GPS and Map Info:
- Check out this Ride with GPS cue sheet and map to guide you to Bike and Roll
- If using your own GPS device or direction application use
- Address: Bike and Roll DC: 955 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Washington DC. 20024
- Coordinates: 38.8844445°, 077.0275886°
- Web and phone: www.bikeandrolldc.com 202-842-2453
- Turn by Turn
- Head east on Virginia Ave NW toward Rock Creek Park Trails 2. Turn right onto Rock Creek Park Trails! 0.7 mi!
- Turn right! 0.2 mi!
- Turn right! 453 ft!
- Turn left at Arlington Memorial Bridge! 0.2 mi! 6. Turn right! 0.5 mi!
- Turn right toward Jefferson Dr SW! 0.3 mi!
- Slight left toward Jefferson Dr SW!381 ft!
- Walk your bicycle 26 ft!
- Turn right onto Jefferson Dr SW! 0.3 mi!
- Turn right toward Independence Ave SW!397 ft!
- Turn left onto Independence Ave SW! 0.1 mi!
- Turn right onto L’Enfant Plaza! 0.3 mi!
- Turn left onto L’Enfant Plaza SW Destination will be on the right 285 ft!
Dropping your Bike Off in Cumberland, MD
Dropping off in Cumberland is a breeze. Cumberland Trail Connection is directly on the trail, so you can’t miss it.
Cumberland Trail Connection is located in Canal Place right where the GAP meets the C&O. They are next to the Crabby Pig if you need to grab a beer after dropping off your bike. Their phone number is 301-777-8724.
Social Media Connections
Connect with others who have had the good fortune of taking a ride on the Great Allegheny Passage with Golden Triangle Bike. Share your photos and good times with us and be eligible to win one of our awesome bikes at the end of the season! Check us out on: