Even though you’re on a self supported adventure, we are always available to help answer your questions. Check out the info on this page, give us a buzz at 412-600-0675. While we might be miles away, we’ll help put you in touch with the closest place for bike repairs, a comfy bed, or a cold beer!
The following contains information about the trail, the trip and our services. Included are detailed DC and Cumberland Bike Drop off information, Tips and Reminders, Links to our FAQ and Blog entries to help you prepare and know what to expect….and more!
- The Paw Paw Tunnel is currently closed. There is a detour trail that is approximately 1-1/2 miles long with nearly 400 feet of elevation. You must dismount and walk your bike on the trail. Please allow an extra 1 to 1-1/2 hours of time on the day that you pass through this area. If you do not want to deal with the detour, let us know. We can help you arrange transportation in advance.
- Whites Ferry is now closed, which presents a unique problem for riders staying in nearby Leesburg. We are currently watching as the two sides of the dispute negotiate and hope that the ferry resumes operation in the near future. If not, we are working with our lodging partners in Leesburg to offer a shuttle.
Be Prepared and In-The-Know:
FAQ– Information about your bikes, the gear that is included and more. You’ll find out more about the terrain, the accommodations, what to bring, what to expect and everything in between!
Tips and Reminders
- Keep your tires inflated to the suggested PSI. B+Bs, hotels, bike shops, and visitor centers usually have pumps available. Do what you can to get 80 PSI in there everyday, and you will likely not get a flat on the entire trip!
- If you have an emergency on the trail, call 911 and use the mile markers as a reference.
- Golden Triangle Bike strongly recommends wearing your helmet each mile of your ride.
- Flat repair kits are in your handlebar bags. If you don’t exactly know how to use it, flag another cyclists down! We’re a friendly bunch!
- Use the quick release at the seat collar to adjust saddle height and improve fit.
- We’ve equipped your bike with a handlebar mounted bell. Use it as often as necessary to alert other riders, and shoo critters off the trail.
- Keep right and announce passing as “on your left!”
- Your lock combo is set to 0000. Line the numbers up at the arrow and try to keep your bike in sight.
- Have fun and ‘keep the rubber side down!
Dropping your bike off in Washington DC.
You made it!
You will be dropping your bike off with our friends at Unlimited Biking. At mile marker 0 on the C&O in Georgetown, you’re a few short miles and a great ride through the national mall to get there.
When you arrive at Unlimited Biking, check in with a staff member. Let them know you’re just finishing up and you’ll be dropping off the bike with them. They’ll direct you to a space to unpack and get sorted.
Directions, GPS and Map Info:
- If using your own GPS device or direction application use the following address:
998 Maine Ave SWWashington, DC 20024
- Web and phone: Unlimited Biking. 202-842-2453
- Google Map Link-
- Turn by Turn
Thompson Boat Center2900 Virginia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20037-Head northwest315 ft-Turn right onto Rock Creek Trail0.7 mi-Slight right0.2 mi-Turn left75 ft-Turn right0.2 mi-Turn left23 ft-Turn right361 ft-Turn left0.7 mi-Turn right0.2 mi-Turn right onto Raoul Wallenberg Pl SW26 ft-Turn left onto Jefferson Dr SW0.3 mi-Turn right onto 12th St SW397 ft-Turn left onto Independence Ave SW0.1 mi-Turn right onto L’Enfant Plaza SW0.5 mi-Keep right to stay on L’Enfant Plaza SW233 ft-Turn right toward Maine Ave SW36 ft-Turn right toward Maine Ave SW0.1 mi-Slight right at Maine Ave SW56 ft-Turn left onto Maine Ave SW-Destination will be on the right240 ftUnlimited Biking998 Maine Ave SWWashington, DC 20024Map
Dropping your Bike Off in Cumberland, MD
Dropping off in Cumberland is a breeze. Cumberland Trail Connection is directly on the trail, so you can’t miss it.
Cumberland Trail Connection is located in Canal Place right where the GAP meets the C&O. They are next to the Crabby Pig if you need to grab a beer after dropping off your bike. Their phone number is 301-777-8724.
Social Media Connections
Connect with others who have had the good fortune of taking a ride on the Great Allegheny Passage with Golden Triangle Bike. Share your photos and good times with us and be eligible to win one of our awesome bikes at the end of the season! Check us out on: